Product’s price history – how to check it?
- 29 August 2022
Nowadays prices in e-commerce can change multiple times a day. This is due to brands’ promotional campaigns and changes based on different market conditions (dynamic pricing). Seasonal and occasional changes are other situations in which prices fluctuate – a good example of it is Black Friday. It’s counter-intuitive, we know, but even 60% of product prices go up during Black Friday – according to the research of British organisation Which.
That’s why it’s important to track prices from different perspectives:
- e-store – to compare offered prices to the ones offered by competitors
- manufacturers – to verify at what prices brand products are being sold and to check if there are no ongoing price wars
- customers – to avoid being fooled by “fake promotions”
In this article, we will show you how to verify a product’s price history and compare prices between different sellers. Get to know how to check a product’s price history using Dealavo (a solution for shops and manufacturers) and on platforms such as Amazon, Ceneo, AliExpress and many more.
Price history – why is it important to know it?
The prices offered in stores change dynamically based on the current market situation. Retailers willingly use them to compete, which may lead to a wide price diversity. For example, the same products may cost hundreds of dollars more just a few days later. With little effort you can conveniently check given product’s price history, thanks to which you can see:
- in which months products are the most expensive
- whether a specific product is really getting cheaper during the special offer period
- what was the lowest and the highest price of a specific product
Here’s how to start:
How to check a product’s price history?
The majority of price changes can be seen in any browser – Chrome, Firefox or Opera.
DEALAVO – A TOOL FOR E-BRANDS AND MANUFACTURERS
Dealavo is a tool that provides price monitoring for e-shops and brands. It’s an online solution which enables internet shops to check at what price their competitors sell the products that they offer. It also helps manufacturers in verifying at what prices their distributors sell their products.
One of the key functionalities of the tool is the ability to check a product’s price history. To do that, all it takes is to choose the product we are interested in and click the “Show historical charts” button. Then the tool shows the history of a specific product from given sources like Amazon, any similar competition site or directly from the manufacturer’s database. Thanks to it, you can see how specific prices changed over time. By means of line breaks it is possible to check when a specific product was unavailable in a given store:
Dealavo also allows downloading a product’s price history in an Excel form, through API and it keeps you updated in terms of market changes through e-mail alerts.
Want to learn more about Dealavo? Schedule a free appointment about the price comparison tool.
HISTORY OF PRICE CHANGES ON AMAZON
If you want to precisely check the price history on Amazon, you should use Keepa.com. It allows you to verify prices in American, German, British, Italian or french Amazon stores.
How does the price history check proceeds? You only need to follow these 3 steps:
- Click the „Track” button on a top bar
- Choose the “Search” button
- Type the product’s name in the search bar
Next, you’re going to get the results – on the screenshot below you can see an example of a Samsung Tab A7 Lite 8.7 price history:
HISTORY OF PRICE CHANGES ON ALIEXPRESS
If you want to quickly check a product’s price history on AliExpress, go to AliPrice.com. Next, paste in the search box a link to the product that you’re interested in. That’s it! As well as Keepa, AliPrice allows you to easily define the period you’re looking for in terms of price changes.
Product’s price history – other possibilities
Not only do the biggest price comparison websites allow you to check price changes and their history. There are also sites thanks to which you can easily check how amounts of specific products are shaped in e-stores like MediaMarkt.
Lastly, the product’s price history on Black Friday and the differences between marketplaces
In this article, we showed you how to check price history and why it’s so important either from the retailer’s or customer’s point of view. Finally, we want to present you with an example of an analysis of the toys market in Poland which we conducted near the Black Friday period with the data gathered by Dealavo tool.
Based on the analysis of 705.000 offers of toys, we determined that:
- Children’s toys in 47% were available to buy cheaper at the beginning of November compared to the Black Friday period
- The cheapest offer for a children’s toy consumers could find on a Google Shopping price comparison website
- The biggest competition between retailers in Poland occurs on the Allegro platform and the least competition can be found on polish Amazon. The average number of retailers offering the same product in the children’s toys industry on Allegro is 71, while on Amazon it’s only 11.
Given data shows that retailers and their prices should be compared not only over periods of time but also between different sales channels.